Academy on International Commercial Arbitration
The Cologne Arbitration Academy is known for its practical, highly interactive and “skills oriented” teaching and training approach. It is addressed to students and young practitioners with no or little experience in the field of ADR.
Under the guidance of highly renowned and experienced international arbitration practitioners you will get actively involved in all stages of a real international arbitration. Take the chance to test your case management and other advocacy skills, to conduct operning statements or to cross-examine witnesses in front of an international arbitral tribunal.
The joint social program for the participants of both Academies consists of a guided tour through the ancient city of Cologne, an evening in a traditional Cologne beer house and the famous Academy boat trip on the river rhine with buffet dinner and drinks.
- Welcome Reception at the Seminar Building of the University of Cologne, Albertus-Magnus-Platz (starting at 6 pm)
Introduction of Proceedings/Arbitration Clause
- Getting the Arbitration Started
- Choosing the Right Arbitrator
- Role of Arbitral Institutions
- Case Analysis/Strategy/Tactics
- Writing Memorials/Briefs
- Opening Statements
- Legal/Factual Submissions
- The Art of Persuasion
- Advocacy Skills
- Interaction with Tribunal & Opposing Counsel
- Significance and Means of Evidence
- IBA-Rules on the Taking of Evidence
- Document Production
- Witness Evidence
Arbitral Decisions & Settlement
- Procedural Orders
- Awards on Jurisdiction
- Partial/Final Awards, Awards on Costs
- Termination Orders
Afternoon (until 3:30 pm)
- Joint Session with Participants of both Academies
“Arbitration & Mediation: Differences & Similarities”
*changes in program and faculty reserved
Earn 2 ECTS Points!